Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Christmas Ceilidh!!

What is a Ceilidh, you ask? Good question. How do you even pronounce it? Even better question. I was wondering the same thing when I found out that this was the title of the last party that my study-abroad program would be hosting before we left to come back home, and by the length of this post, you know it's going to be as interesting as it's name.

Turns out that Ceilidh is a Scottish tradition (go figure) and it's pronounced, at least I think, just like the name Kailey (kay-lee). The "d" is silent, I guess it's a scottish thing. It's a traditional dance that's a mix between the old english dances straight out of Pride and Prejudice together with country line-dancing. Basically that equals a rockin' good time. Ceilidh is also (at least in Scotland) sort of it's own genre of music, with guitars and bass and drums and all that, but usually including an accordion, recorder, fiddle, or a combination of the three.

I almost didn't even attend this rockin' good time either. I signed up the DAY after the deadline and got put on the waiting list. Lucky for me, I was able to use my boyish charm to talk up one of our directors to bump my spot on the waiting list, and ended up getting a spot. Note that "getting a spot" at these kind of events is important, at least for me, because it always means a free meal, and if you know me, you KNOW how important a free meal is.

Anyway, this function was to be held at the world-famous Belmoral Hotel in Edinburgh. It looks like a miniature Parliament Building, when you're looking down on the city at night, it's so well lit that you can't possibly miss it, AND it's only a five-minute walk from my apartment. Needless to say I was more than a little excited to finally see the inside of the place after walking by it so many times. I was more than happy to put on for the first time the slacks that I had brought solely for this end-of-the-year event, and I even managed to get my tie on straight (with some minor help from my cultured room-mate Oli).

When all of us were outside, the big group of IFSA-Butler students living in my apartment block (let's see...6 girls and me...good odds) all walked down to the hotel together, and I with my trusty camcorder (which proved to be not so trust-worthy, more on that later). We walked through the atypical revolving doors into the foyer, and though it was not as enormous as I first imagined, it was definately a beautiful entrance, with christmas decorations spread out and a big lit-up white christmas tree smack in the center of it all. It was definately the type of place that could smack an embarassing smile on your face with one look. We took our coats off after taking a few snapshots and followed our ears to the next room dead ahead, which was a lounge complete with mini-bar, piano, more christmas decorations and even a crackling fire-place.

We were ushered into a waiting room with another mini bar and a coat hanger, and a couple young girls passing out drinks. The hot cider I recieved was some of the best I've ever had, with little chunks of apple and whole clove stalks stuck right in it. It was delicious.

Sorry, I've been talking poetically about my night before the actual bulk of the night even started. Well we had dinner (which was this chicken wrapped in bacon with garlic mashed potatoes, not bad) in this huge banquet hall that had a view of the whole city, and we were waiting in anticipation for the main event, me still not knowing exactly what kind of "dancing" was going to go on. I had a feeling it would be a type of line-dancing thing, but that was just from the rumors I'd heard. Turns out it was. The live band (brilliant, by the way), had an electric and acoustic guitar, bass, fiddle (which was electric blue) and drummer, and they gave us some music to finish our desserts by before the announcer asked everyone to the dance floor. After that, it gets a little difficult to explain. We essentially listened to what he told us, found our partners (which, depending on the dance, varied from 2-6 people!) and we'd learn the dance moves. I remember them a little, and Hailey wrote them all down, so if you want to know about them, let me know and I'll find out more. It was all extremely fast-paced, with only a couple reviews of the moves before they'd start the music. This was fine though, it made it more fun. Like I said, it's hard to explain, but that's why I recorded it. I'll let the video explain ;-)


All-in-all it was a wonderful evening, like a night at the ball. I had some good times with the people that I saw first when I made it to the country, and it was awkward saying good-bye to a few of them. It was sad that it was the last event as well (and not JUST because I wouldn't get any more free meals). I don't know, this whole trip to Scotland has been a whirlwind tour, and it's hard to believe that the big finale with my program is already over. It's even harder to believe that I'm going to be home in fifteen days. I remember my first two weeks like they were yesterday. I knew this would happen, but it doesn't make it easier. I'm still ready to be home and see everyone. But one of my friends that I met here who lives just downstairs from me is going home tomorrow. Her and I had some good times, and realizing that she's actually leaving made me also realize just how much I'll miss this place and all the people I've met.

Well, enough mushy stuff, I need to go to bed. It's like one in the morning right now! ARRGGH.

P.S. Don't make too much fun of me for the video. These dances were tricky! haha and I'm extremely sorry for the poor quality. Like I said, my camcorder was not being very trustworthy OR cooperative, it kept losing focus and the lighting is really poor. I still haven't found a FLASH on the stupid thing, but I still love it. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Addi So glad you got to go to this celebration! What a thing to really experience the culture!
    And thanks for video taping it!
    Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete